CIWEM has a history of working in environmental management dating back to 1895. The present day Institution was formed in 1987 when the Institution of Public Health Engineers merged with the Institution of Water Engineers and Scientists and the Institute of Water Pollution Control to form the Institution of Water and Environmental Management. The Institution was granted a Royal Charter in 1995 and was proud to celebrate its centenary in the same year.
The Chartered Institution of Wastes Management (CIWM) was first established as “The Association
of Cleansing Superintendents of Great Britain” on 25th June 1898. It was incorporated as “The Institute of Cleansing Superintendents” in 1908, “The Institute of Public Cleansing” in 1928 and then as “The Institute of Wastes Management” in 1981. It became “The Chartered Institution of Wastes Management” on award of its Royal Charter in 2003.
Both these professional bodies have memberships composed of practitioners in the general field of the environment.